Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sassy-Aspie-Mom/117289368463117?ref=hl

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Straightened out



This weekend marked another milestone in Hunter’s life. He now has braces. He has struggled with an overbite for several years, and it has been the source of a lot of harassing at school. Because of his sensory issues, I have delayed getting them. He chews on everything…pencils, school id, clothing, so I thought they would be a nightmare. Finally, we "bit the bullet" and did it!! He was so excited!!

While at the appointment, the receptionist and I were discussing how great it was that he would have them off before high school.  We were discussing how cruel children can be to one another. She made the comment that at least his teeth would be straight before he entered his freshman year. 

Suddenly, my mind rushed to everything else that would not be “straightened” by then, and a wave of panic came over me. His social issues will still be a challenge, school will still be a struggle, life will still be so uncertain. At that moment, my heart began to hurt. I wished with all my heart that the rest of his struggles could be fixed so easily. A few brackets and some adjustments seem so much easier than the pain and heartache my (not so little) boy will have to face to fit in with the rest of the world. 

While his teeth are shifting and changing over the next couple of years, I pray that Hunter does the same. There is no quick fix. There is no easy solution This constant and ever changing life will continue to throw obstacles for him to maneuver, but I hope he is able to grow and adapt right along with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment