Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sassy-Aspie-Mom/117289368463117?ref=hl

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Snapshot in time

Yesterday, I did not have a great "Mom day". Grant wanted me to come to lunch with him, and I promised him I would be there,  but I missed it. I called the school at 10:30 to see what time his lunch was, and it was at 10:40. Whoops! When I picked him up, I apologized to him and promised I would be there today. He was so sweet, and then asked if I could bring him a sonic bacon cheeseburger for lunch. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, he was working the guilt thing pretty well.

Of course, I made it this morning, but not without a trip to Sonic for a bacon cheeseburger and a root beer too! I was running a few minutes late because the cooks at Sonic were not in a big hurry to make that cheeseburger at 10:15 a.m., but when I walked into the lunch room, his smile was enough to light up the room.

We sat together for the full 30 minutes as he savored every last bite of that cheeseburger. He talked about his next birthday party; the teachers he liked;the kids in his class; his excitement for all the fun things coming up at the end of school. I just listened and smiled and nodded. The entire time I could only think how lucky I am to be this little boy's mom. Some days,  I make a lot of mistakes, but he always makes me feel like he is proud that I am his mom.

I have learned so much from this little boy who takes on each day with such gusto! He wakes up every day with a smile on his face. He gives his all no matter what he is doing. He is hard headed and temperamental (he gets it from his dad, he he), but I think it is because he cares so much about doing his best. His teacher says he is the first to help someone in class or console someone in pain. For that, I am the most proud. He watches out for his older brother all the time. Even when Hunter is mean to him, he is still kind. Yes, he gets frustrated, and sometimes there is a little retaliation,  but only for a few minutes. His loyalty is unwavering.

I have many days like yesterday when I feel like I am failing miserably at this whole "Mom" thing, but then I look into his eyes and I know I am wrong. No, I won't win any parenting awards, but I do have the love and admiration of this little boy who's smile lights up my world. In two weeks, he will be a second grader. The time is passing so quickly. I want it to slow down. I want more of these precious moments. I want more of those toothless smiles and ketchup faces and hugs and kisses and "I love you's". In a few years they will be no more. It won't be long before I won't be cool and he sure won't want me to sit at his lunch table. For now, I am going to live every single day as a snapshot in time that I hope to bank in my memory forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment