Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sassy-Aspie-Mom/117289368463117?ref=hl

Friday, September 6, 2013

I'm going to miss this

Today was Grandparents Day at Grant's school, and it was his first year EVER not to have one of his grandparents there. This was definitely one of the many times we wish we weren't 14 hours away from family.

 He has been upset all week about not having anyone there, so I tried to buffer the situation by showing up at 11:30 with a Sonic bacon cheeseburger and a root beer. (This usually eases his pain from just about anything.)  When I arrived, I saw him walking down the hallway with his class. Some of his classmates already had their grandparents with them. He looked really sad. I called his name, he turned around, and there was an instant smile.We sat with one of his friends and his grandpa. He ate his burger, laughed with his friend, and genuinely had a good time. He was okay. My heart was a little lighter.

When it was time for me to leave, I took a quick "selfie" picture of the two of us on my phone, and walked him out of the cafeteria. He had recess, so I took him to the doors to go to the playground and whispered "I love you" to him and blew him a kiss. He did a half- puckering of his lips and ran out the door as fast as he could. My heart hurt and sang all at the same time.

My little guy is growing up. He still needs me, but just not as much. Actually, he needs me a little bit less every day. That's a good thing...right?  I know, I know, it's a great thing. It means I'm doing my job as his parent. He is becoming more and more independent and that is great!

I left the school feeling a little blue. I started my car up and this song was playing:

Trace Adkins "Your going to miss this."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igm2iGvo-us

I cried all the way home. Yep, that's right, I had a sappy mom moment. My baby is growing up. He will be 8 next week. With every passing day I realize that with all of my heart I am definitely going to "miss this." I already know from having a 12 year-old that this time goes by so quickly, and soon they don't need you at all (or at least they think that).

Right now, I'm going to go pick him up from school, grab a book, and try to cuddle with him in the chair while I read to him. I'm going to wrap my arms around him and bury my head in his hair and savor this moment because it will be gone before I know it.


No comments:

Post a Comment