Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sassy-Aspie-Mom/117289368463117?ref=hl

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Blessed




Autism can be a lonely place. It can be a place of judgment, full of criticism and unacceptance. I see it every day with my Hunter. I see him struggling in a world in which he does not always fit. I feel his desperate need to feel better about himself. I see the pain in his eyes. As his mom, it hurts to see this, not knowing if he will ever really find a place where he feels safe.

We were fortunate to be able go home for Easter this year. We have been blessed with great family and friends who love us. Hunter thrives in this existence. He feels secure. He feels happy. He can be himself. It was so wonderful to watch him interact with his aunts, uncles, and cousins. It was as if an entire weight had been lifted off of his shoulders. He did not have to put a wall up or wish to be anyone but himself.   It makes me want to wrap him in this cocoon of safety every day. It makes me so grateful for those around us who truly love him for all the quirkiness and brilliance that encompasses my beautiful son.

I know that I will never be able to protect him completely from this world. Life will not always be easy for him. I do believe that he has been given a special gift. The gift of love, encouragment, and strength of his amazing family. No matter what anyone says to him; no matter what difficulties he faces; they will always surround him with an armor made of loyalty and love passed down through the years. Yes, no matter the challenges he faces, he has been blessed! I am forever thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment