Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sassy-Aspie-Mom/117289368463117?ref=hl

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

You don’t know me at all


 


“You don’t know me at all.” That is his new catch phrase.

 “Hunter, please go clean your room.”

                “You don’t know me at all.”

“Hunter, I know you have homework. Please do not lie to me.”

“You don’t know me at all!”
 

He is trying to be hurtful. He is a teenager. He wants to put me in my place because I am the one available. I just ignore him and continue with my message to do his homework or clean his room or explain why he can’t continue to lie to me, but the truth is I want to say so much more!

I want to yell at the top of my lungs…

I know you better than you may ever know yourself. I know that you are amazingly intelligent. I know that you knew every NFL football team before you were 3 years-old, including players, their numbers, their positions, and the college team they played for before going to the pros. You know more about history than I could ever know. I don’t have any idea how you are able to retain all of that information.

I know you have an amazing connection with animals. You seem to speak to them on a different level. Sometimes I think it is easier for you to connect with them than people. It is like you have your own language.

I know that no matter how much you hate me for doing it, I must make you clean your room, brush your teeth, take a shower, and use your table manners.

I know that when you strut around like you are so confident,  you are actually really scared and unsure. The whole world awaits you, but so much of it seems like a puzzle. It is exciting and scary, really scary to you. Even though you think I don’t know anything, I know you lean on me for the best advice I can give. Unfortunately, I know sometimes I fall short, but I’m giving it my best buddy.

I know you like girls with pale skin and blond hair (this mom really didn’t need to hear this quite yet)! I know that you don’t quite understand the dynamic of the whole guy/girl thing, but you are learning. It just might take you a while longer for you to get there.

I know that you love your Dad. You look at him with those admiring eyes. I hope you will grow into the kind and loyal man he is someday. He may never say the words to you enough, but he loves you more than words could every say, and he would give anything for you to never hurt or struggle.

I know that I will never stop telling you how much you can achieve in your life. You have been given amazing talents. I can’t stop pushing you to set your goals and give it your all.

I know you hate schoolwork. I know it is not easy. I know some of the concepts are so tough for you to understand. I know that there are so many other things going on in your mind and it is hard to shut down in order to focus.

I know that no matter how hard this life gets and no matter how many times you fall down, I will be there to help you back up. When you are unsure, I will try to help you understand. When you want to quit, I won’t let you.

Hunter, Hunter, Hunter, I know you all right. I have known you since the first time I looked into those big brown eyes and knew my purpose for being. I look forward to knowing you more as you grow on this journey of life. There will be ups and down and there will be struggles, but in the end, that is what make life so much sweeter. I love you!

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment